Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Vegan Chick-Fil-A on homemade bao

Having never tried authentic Chick-Fil-A and recently experimenting with vegan cooking, my curiosity was piqued when I first encountered The Edgy Veg's Vegan Chick-Fil-A recipe. I used sesame oil in place of tahini in the seitan patties, omitted the liberal amounts of cayenne and chili powder she includes and used Whole New Mom's Egg Replacer recipe for that part of the binder.

I also made up a batch of bao to function as my buns.

My first two versions of this sandwich stayed fairly true to the original intent, sticking to toppings of pickles, homemade vegan cheese, vegan margarine and/or homemade navy bean spread. Yesterday, I decided to top them with just about every vegetable I had in the fridge and vastly preferred that version. I ran out of roasted red peppers on yesterday's venture and forgot to add the pickles, so today's bao were topped with bean spread, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, avocado and vegan Chick-Fil-A.

The breading is nicely seasoned and has a fantastic crunch. Really my only "issue" is that I found my seitan cutlets too thick. Now that I know I dislike having such thick patties, I can readily adjust next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment